Forbius is looking for an experienced In-House Patent Agent to join our energetic and high-performance team. Under direction of the Chief Scientific Officer, and in collaboration with the Preclinical and Discovery teams, the Patent Agent will be responsible for prior art research, preparation, drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications to support Forbius’ Research and Development goals, and IP interests.
Based in Montréal, the incumbent will work cross-functionally with internal departments and external resources on IP-related matters.
- Prepare, draft, and prosecute patent applications worldwide to advance Forbius’ intellectual property portfolio in alignment with company strategy.
- Coordinate invention disclosure documents, internal discussions, and provide guidance on a variety of patent and IP-related issues.
- Manage and annotate intellectual property filings and deadlines, working closely with the Legal and R&D teams.
- Apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to maximize intellectual property value and minimize risk.
- Assist Forbius’ management and R&D team in additional IP matters, as needed.
- Patent Agent with 5-8 years of in-house or IP consultancy experience.
- 5 years of experience in preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical field, with experience in cell biology and biochemistry strongly preferred.
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology or other life sciences.
- Experience in drafting new filings and designing IP strategy.
- Admission to practice before the USPTO and CIPO in good standing.
- Industry experience focused on drug discovery and development, a plus.
- Outstanding analytical, research and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Ability to be highly productive and flexible in a fast-paced work environment.